Nothing says classic American comfort food to me like a homemade chicken pot pie. It’s so hearty and filling, and always feels good on a chilly fall or winter day. But traditional chicken pot pie recipes can be pretty high in fat and calories. By making a few changes and using a reduced fat crescent roll dough for the crust, I was able to create a chicken pot pie recipe that clocks in at just 4 Points + per serving and tastes every bit as good as it’s more fattening version. My husband absolutely loved this Weight Watchers recipe, and I take that as the ultimate success indicator, since he is pretty picky. I made this originally as a 6 serving recipe at 4 Points + per serving, but if you want a bigger piece of the pie, you can make it 4 servings for 6 Points + per serving. Either way, this low calorie Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is a fantastic bargain. Enjoy!
Light Chicken Pot Pie
Low calorie comfort food at its finest, this reduced fat Chicken Pot Pie is hearty, creamy, and ever so satisfying. Perfect for a cold winter’s day!
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 small stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (frozen is fine)
- 8oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 slices reduced fat crescent roll dough
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray a 10” pie plate with cooking spray (butter flavored is best).
- In a medium sized pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add in onions and celery and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in broth, chicken, vegetables, paprika, thyme and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on medium for about 12-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk and flour. Pour into chicken and vegetable mixture and continue to cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie plate, and arrange crescent roll slices around the outside edge, leaving the pie open in the center.
- Place into oven and bake until the crust is golden brown, and the center of the pot pie is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1/6th of pie
Each serving = 4 Points +
PER SERVING: 174 calories; 4g fat; 19g carbohydrates; 13g protein; 3g fiber