It’s officially fall, folks!
And what better way to kick off the season than with this delicious Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Spicy Chipotle Cream. The slightly sweet and savory mellowness of the pumpkin soup is perfectly complemented with a touch of heat from the chipotle seasoned yogurt.
And I love that extra bit of creamy tartness from the yogurt! If you don’t have the yogurt on hand, sour cream would work just as well. My two year old devoured the soup, but I made sure not to add the spicy chipotle cream to her serving.
It’s a delicious and comforting soup whose velvety smooth texture and delectable spices will have you making this it year round.
Serve this pumpkin soup as a first course, or Weight Watchers Appetizer Recipe, or pair with your favorite salad or sandwich for lunch. Enjoy!
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp ground chipotle chili powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add in onions, garlic, ginger , sugar and cinnamon stick. Cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, broth, coriander, paprika, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat, remove cinnamon stick, and pour soup into a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Return soup to sauce pan and keep on low heat until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt and chipotle powder.
- Divide soup evenly into 4 bowls. Place about 2 tbsp of the yogurt into the center of each bowl of soup, and gently swirl into soup using a toothpick.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 2 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value