Oh, french fries….I truly can never have enough.
I adore all varieties and am always eager to experiment with new versions. I whipped up these Baked Cornmeal Crusted Sweet Potato Fries one day when I had not planned my meals for the day and needed a tasty, year healthy side dish to serve my kids’ with their hot dogs for dinner one night (don’t judge….they were organic, nitrate free ones at least).
I had some extra cornmeal sitting in my pantry and decided it might be fun to coat the fries with that instead of panko, which I had originally planned.
A few extra seasonings and these turned out delicious!
If I was feeling a bit more energetic that day, I would’ve come up with some tasty, yogurt based dip for them, but alas, I did not. So ketchup did the trick, and the fries were a hit.
SWEET POTATO CORNMEAL FRIES
- 2 large sweet potatoes (sliced into sticks)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- Salt to taste
- After slicing potatoes, place in a bowl of cold water and swish around for a minute. Let sit for about 10 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray or an olive oil mister.
- Place fries in a large ziplock bag. Add oil and shake well to coat all the fries.
- Add in remaining ingredients, and shake to coat.
- Spread fries out evenly on prepared baking sheet, being careful not to overlap, and place in oven. Cook for about 30-40 minutes, or until fries are crisp and browned.