Recently, I came across the original version of this Crusted Butternut Squash Recipe at Sprouted Kitchen. And even though it’s the middle of summer, I suddenly was overcome with a desire for this fall recipe. I made just a few tweaks, and was thrilled with how ridiculously delicious this butternut squash recipe was! The savory, seasoned breadcrumb mixture was the perfect accent to the mild, slightly sweet squash. This made a beautiful Weight Watchers side dish recipe that was not only lovely, but absolutely delicious and a fantastic way to get in a healthy veggie serving. I love the idea of serving it for the fall, but it was so darn good, I don’t think I can wait that long to have it again!
Crusted Butternut Squash
Tender, slightly sweet butternut squash topped with a delicious, savory seasoned breadcrumb mixture. A wonderful Weight Watchers Fall Side Dish Recipe that is tasty and nutritious.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray.
- Peel squash with a vegetable peeler. Cut in half lengthwise then scoop out all the seeds. Slice into 1/4” slices.
- Place squash slices evenly in a single layer on the baking sheet. Mist generously with an olive oil mister.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture all over the top of the squash. Then mist lightly with the olive oil mister.
- Place in oven and bake until squash is tender and breadcrumb topping is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 4 Smart Points/3 Points
PER SERVING: 117calories; 2g fat; 1g saturated fat; 22g carbohydrate; 3g sugar; 4g protein; 3g fiber