We love rice and any side dish with rice in it is a family favorite. Mushroom rice pilaf is the perfect addition to a main course. I serve this when I make chicken or fish.
I have made this on “Meatless Mondays” as well. I use low-sodium chicken broth and water to cook the rice. I think it adds a nice flavor.
Rice cooking times may vary according to taste preference. I used regular white organic raw mushrooms, but I’ve made this using a combination of mushrooms too.
MUSHROOM RICE PILAF
- 1 cup brown rice (long grain)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 2-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper stirring often until the mushrooms and onion start to get tender, usually takes 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add water, chicken broth and rice.
- Stir and increase heat to high.
- Once it starts to boil; reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Keep covered, remove from heat and let stand about 5 minutes.
- Stir and serve hot.