Stuffed peppers were always a staple in my house, growing up. My mom usually made them once every other week, and I can still remember the taste of that delicious beef and rice filling!
My healthier version consists of a quinoa and ground chicken filling. It’s mixed with a tangy tomato sauce, seasoned with Italian herbs and topped with a bit of mozzarella cheese. It’s delicious, filling! And I have to say, it is SOOOOO good. Even better than the one my mom makes — but please don’t tell her that. :)
My kids love it too which is a HUGE plus. I also love how quick and easy this is to prepare, so it’s great for a busy weeknight dinner. I usually pair this with some fresh roasted vegetables and or a salad for a complete meal.
QUINOA AND CHICKEN STUFFED PEPPERS
- 6 bell peppers (halved and seeded)
- 2 lbs ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350, and coat a large 11” x 13” baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add in chicken, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley and salt and pepper, and cook until meat is no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon to break apart the meat while cooking.
- Stir in tomato sauce, and mix to combine, Remove from heat.
- Combine the chicken mixture and the prepared quinoa in a large bowl. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into each pepper half. Then top each one with mozzarella cheese (about 1 tbsp each).
- Place in oven, and cook for about 30 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese is melted and golden. Top with fresh basil before serving.