It’s officially fall, folks, and I love getting in the kitchen and whipping up some hearty, soul-warming soups! My husband’s personal favorite is this Healthy Jambalaya Recipe. It is packed with 3 tasty proteins – chicken, shrimp, and sausage. You can choose to make this a tad lighter by subbing out the andouille sausage with some light turkey or chicken sausage, but I’m such a fan of the spicy and flavorful andouille, I’m willing to sacrifice a Point or two for that fantastic flavor. Each ample serving is certain to fill your stomach and and your soul, at just 8 Points. The easy to follow recipe will have you wanting to make this jambalaya again and again. Enjoy!
Hearty, savory, and soul-satisfyingly delicious, this jambalaya is sure to be a family favorite. Loaded with nutrition and bursting flavor, you will love this healthy dish!
- 8 oz uncooked shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 8 oz andouille sausage, diced
- 8 oz chicken breast, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add in onions, peppers, celery, and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add in sausage and chicken, and heat until meat is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Now stir in all the remaining ingredients, except for the shrimp. Mix well.
- Lower heat to medium, cover and let simmer for about 45 minutes, or until rice is soft.
- Adjust seasonings as desired. Add in shrimp, and continue to simmer until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Serve hot.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/8 Points
PER SERVING: 308 calories; 10g fat; 1.4g saturated fat; 27g carbohydrates; 1.3g sugar; 26g protein; 4g fiber