Quinoa is one of those things that I just love. It’s gluten free and packed with nutrients, so I really like to mix up my normal routine and have it as the base of different dishes. These stuffed peppers are a fabulous little snack, side dish or appetizer. It’s a little more work because of all the chopping (especially all those little peppers), but it’s totally worth it. If I don’t already have quinoa made up, I’ll chop all of the veggies and do all the prep while the quinoa is cooking. While the recipe calls for cocktail tomatoes (also called Campari, they’re typically the “tomatoes on the vine” you find), you can use Roma tomatoes, instead. I wouldn’t recommend grape or cherry tomatoes, since they don’t chop up into small pieces as easily. Also, you have to remember that the mini peppers you’re using are tiny – so chop small. I ran into that problem, and had to do a little more chopping. You can also take a couple of the peppers and chop them into the quinoa mixture (like I did). These peppers are great to take to a potluck or have at a party. They’re small, tasty and easy to handle. I love these little peppers, they’re pretty and delicious!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 cocktail tomatoes diced
- 1/2 English cucumber diced
- 6 green onions sliced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 Tbsp mint chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- 1 1/2 lbs mini sweet peppers assorted colors
- In a medium saucepan, bring the quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce the heat to medium or medium low.
- Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat and allow the quinoa to cool while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds (removing stems is optional).
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, lemon juice, mint, cumin, garlic, pepper and olive oil. Mix well.
- Add the feta and mix until well combined.
- Evenly divide the quinoa mixture between the prepared peppers.
- Serve immediately or chill until serving.
Entire recipe makes 10 servings
Serving size is about 4 – 6 pepper halves
Each serving = 4 Smart Points/5 Points
PER SERVING: 170 calories; 8g fat; 2g saturated fat; 21g carbohydrates; 5g sugar; 5g protein; 4 fiber