This savory and satisfying side dish is a breeze to prepare and goes great with just about any meal. The tender lentils and pan fried mushrooms are incredibly delicious and packed with nutrition. And I love this unique salad that doesn’t feature the leafy greens as its star….they are merely a supporting character in this dish.
I used baby kale in mine, but arugula or spinach would work really well too. The earthy flavors make this hearty Weight Watchers recipe a delicious dish that is sure to make an impression, while still keeping those Smart Points in check.
Warm Mushroom and Lentil Salad
- 1 cup green lentils
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups leafy greens (I used baby kale)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine lentils and 3 cups of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium and simmer until lentils are tender but not too soft, about 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden on both sides (about 2 minutes per side). You may have to cook in 2 batches in order to no overcrowd the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and add in the garlic. Cook for about 2 more minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the lentils, left green, mushrooms, lemon juice, and remaining olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes as desired, and serve immediately.
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 5 Points + PER SERVING: 203 calories; 4g fat; 0.5g saturated fat; 29g carbohydrates; 15g fiber; 1g sugar; 12.5g protein