One of the best parts of pasta in my opinion is the sauce. There is nothing like homemade pasta sauce, whether it’s a cream sauce or a red sauce. The flavors of homemade sauce are so much more vibrant and rich than canned pasta sauce. I’ve found that it’s worth my while to make my pasta sauce. Lasagna is one of those pastas that is truly delicious when topped with a homemade pasta sauce. This simple Bolognese sauce is just what it needs to really be delicious. I decided to try a lasagna without cheese this time, so I needed the sauce to pick up any slack from the missing cheese. And this sauce did just that. It was really quite easy to prepare and the end result was something that was really rich and the flavors were vibrant. Since it’s homemade, you can tweak the flavors to fit your individual taste preference. This lasagna with Bolognese sauce is a little more work, but the flavor in the end makes it worth every minute.
Lasagna with Bolognese Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 carrots chopped
- 1 lb lean ground chicken breast
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped, plus more for garnished, if desired
- 8 basil leaves chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 oz no boil lasagna noodles
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is soft, about 7 -8 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken and cook until the meat is cooked through. Break up the lumps while cooking.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken over medium low heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole dish.
- Place a layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Layer the noodles and sauce in the dish.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly.
- Garnish with additional herbs and serve.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 254 calories; 9g fat; 2g saturated fat; 27g carbohydrates; 4g sugar; 16g protein; 2g fiber