I don’t about you folks, but when I go to IKEA, I can’t wait to get down to their cafeteria and wrap my taste buds around some of their famous Swedish meatballs! They are just soooooo good! Since I can’t really make a trip to IKEA every time I want their meatballs, I got to work making a healthier IKEA Copycat Swedish Meatballs Recipe. It’s actually a pretty easy recipe to make, and these meatballs turned out just as good, if not, BETTER than IKEA’s.
Now, I just need to create a lighter version of their delicious Lingonberry sauce to go with it, and I’m set! At 9 Smart Points for 6 meatballs and sauce, this delicious dish makes a perfect Weight Watchers substitute for the original version. If you love IKEA’s Swedish Meatballs as much as I do, this copycat version is a must try!
IKEA Copycat Swedish Meatballs
- 1/2 lb extra lean ground pork
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup light butter
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 2 1/4 cups fat free beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions, and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Wipe skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pork, beef, cooked onion, Panko, egg, nutmeg, allspice and salt and pepper. Roll the mixture into 24 1” meatballs.
- Heat remaining olive oil in skillet. Add meatballs into pan, in batches, and cook until all sides are browned. About 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Now melt butter in skillet, and then whisk the flour into the melted butter. Cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Slowly pour in the beef broth while continuing to whisk, until gravy is mildly thickened, about 3 minutes. You may need a bit more or less broth to achieve the desired texture of gravy.
- Whisk in the sour cream, and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add in the meatballs, and stir around gently. Cook, remembering to stir occasionally, for about 10-12 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
Serving size is 6 meatballs with sauce
Each serving = 9 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 371 calories; 12g fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 23g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 3g sugar; 36g protein