I always love ordering chicken tortilla soup at my favorite Mexican restaurant. But depending on how it’s prepared, this dish can be dangerous in terms of Weight Watchers Points. Adding in your favorite fixin’s can really rack up the extra fat and calories too. After a bit of work in the kitchen, I came up with own version that is a LOT healthier than the restaurant version, but very healthy and low in Smart Points. And don’t worry – my chicken tortilla soup recipe still includes the cheese and tortilla strips. By using a hand blender to puree the soup, it helps to give the soup a creamy, velvety feel, without adding any high fat milk or cream. My kids love it too, because they have no idea they are eating so many vegetables! And you can top it with fresh red onion, jalapeños, or avocado for an extra boost of flavor, if desired. At just 8 Smart Points, this satisfying soup will fill you up and thrill your tastebuds too. Enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken breast skinless, boneless
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn frozen or canned
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 8 corn tortillas sliced into strips
- 8 oz monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Mist with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and mist with cooking spray. Sprinkle about half of the spice mixture over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Place in the oven, and roast the chicken until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Then, remove chicken from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then shred with two forks. Set aside along with the chicken juices from the baking sheet.
- While chicken is cooking, heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add in the onion, garlic, and bell peppers. Cook until onions begin to turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the spice mixture, tomatoes, chiles, corn, cornmeal, chicken broth, and cilantro. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low.
- Using a hand blender, puree the soup while in the pot until mostly smooth. Add in the beans, lime juice, chicken, and any chicken juices from the baking sheet. Cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes.
- Divide tortilla strips and cheese between 8 bowl. Then ladle hot soup over them and serve.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup soup
Each serving = 8 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 375 calories; 8g fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 39g carbohydrates; 7g fiber; 2g sugar; 38g protein