I’m not a huge fan of shrimp, but I do try to cook it every once in a while. As usual, I fell back on an Asian inspired shrimp stir fry. I’m someone who thinks you really can’t go wrong with stir fry veggies and some really delicious Asian seasonings. This one really exceeded my expectations. For me, the sweet chili sauce was what made this a little different than my normal stir fry. For my normal stir fry I use soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar. I didn’t want to add the really rich and dark flavor of the hoisin, but the sweet chili sauce added a really delicious flavor without overpowering the flavor of the whole dish. I’m not a fan of spicy foods, but the sweet chili sauce adds just a little bit of spice to really bring the whole dish alive. The shrimp is light and a great source of healthy, omega fatty acids. Shrimp is also a great source of lean protein, and the crisp-tender vegetables are a perfect complement to the succulent shrimp.
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- Whisk together the broth, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan or wok over medium low.
- Saute the garlic and ginger for 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan.
- Cook the broccoli, carrots and snap peas for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and cook until the shrimp is hot.
- Serve hot.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 6 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 232 calories; 12.9g fat; 1.95g saturated fat; 11.5g carbohydrates; 2.08g sugar; 19.11g protein; .9g fiber