With the chilly winter weather in full swing, I just can’t get enough soup! Chicken noodle soup has always been one of my family’s favorite comfort foods, but the traditional egg noodles that are used can really add up the calories. By simply subbing out the egg noodles with “noodles”, which is just zucchini that has been spiraled, I was able to make my homemade chicken noodle soup recipe a LOT lighter and healthier. Now I can indulge in a big bowl of delicious chicken soup for just 3 Smart Points! It’s so delicious and satisfying, and absolutely guilt free. Spiraled zucchini can be used in so many recipes, and it’s really quite fast and easy to do. If you don’t have one already, I highly recommend one. The one I have (THIS one) is small, cheap, and does a great job…no need for anything fancy. If you love chicken noodle soup but have been avoiding it because of the high calorie noodles, this recipe will win your heart.
- 1 lb chicken breast skinless, boneless
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 large carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 large zucchini "spiralized"
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mist a baking dish with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in the baking dish, and rub with olive oil. Season with poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper. Cover with foil and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, fill a large stock pot or Dutch oven with the chicken broth, carrots and celery, and set over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and cover.
- Using two forks, shred chicken and dump it all into the soup pot, including the pan drippings from the baking dish. Season soup as desired with salt and pepper, cover, and cook on low for about 20-30 minutes.
- about 20-30 minutes. Right before serving, add desired amount of “zoodles” to each serving bowl, and ladle the hot soup over it. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 2 cups
Each serving = 3 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 164 calories; 6g fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 0g sugar; 21g protein