On a trip to Israel a few years ago, my husband and I stopped at this amazing Arabic restaurant in Jerusalem. And of all the fantastic foods I got to try on my visit, I will never forget the fattoush salad I had there. IT WAS AMAZING. I know that may sound crazy…to be so blown away by a salad, but the incredible flavor combination of this traditional Arabic salad was divine. Fresh mint and parsley, combined with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and warm toasted pita bread, then topped off with a tangy vinegar garlic dressing and crumbled feta cheese. So good!! But the best part about this salad was the addition of a popular Middle Eastern spice called sumac. This is what sealed the deal and made this Arabic Fattoush salad so incredibly delicious! At the restaurant, I was introduced to the owner’s friend. We had a great chat about some foods and seasonings that were central to Arabic culture, and as soon as I returned to the states, I got into the kitchen to try and recreate some of the fantastic foods that I enjoyed and learned about. Sumac has since become a staple in my kitchen now. I love it on salads, meats, and on tops of steamed rice. So today, I’m sharing my recreation of the Arabic Fattoush salad….and it’s just 2 Smart Points per serving. This one is a must try!
- 1 whole wheat pita bread
- 1 large English cucumber (diced)
- 2 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 of a medium red onion (finely diced)
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 2 oz fat free feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground sumac
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly mist pita bread with cooking spray, and season with a bit of salt. Toast until crisp and golden brown. Chop into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the remaining ingredients (except for the feta). Top with diced pita and feta cheese.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 2 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value