Pasta is one of my kids’ favorite meals, so I find myself making it a lot. The problem is, I also love pasta, but those noodles always end up making the dish too high in Points for me to eat it. So I’m always looking for an alternative way to enjoy my favorite pasta dish, without having to use actual pasta.
“Zoodles” has always been a preferred option of mine, but recently I decided to try roasted cauliflower instead, and I have to say, I like it even BETTER! You guys — it is really, really good!! The cauliflower is so mild, it picks up the flavor of the sauce, and is a great way to enjoy a guilt free pasta dish.
I recently tried it with my light bolognese sauce, and it was absolutely amazing! What a great way to pack in more nutrition, enjoy a delicious and decadent pasta dish, and not use too many Smart Points. I’ll definitely be trying roasted cauliflower as a substitute for pasta in some other popular Italian recipes too. Enjoy!
- 2 medium head of cauliflower (chopped into florets)
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 25oz jar of marinara sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp olive oil (divided)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a late baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray.
- Place cauliflower florets in a large bowl. Add in 2 tsp olive oil, and salt & pepper. Toss well to coat. Transfer cauliflower to baking sheet, place in oven and roast until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make bolognese sauce by heating remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic, and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in ground chicken, dried oregano and parsley, and cook, whole breaking up with a wooden spoon, until chicken is browned.
- Turn heat to low, stir in marinara sauce, cover, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Divide roasted cauliflower onto 6 plates, and top with bolognese sauce.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup bolognese sauce
Each serving = 3 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value