These pistachio snack squares are a simply sweet and nutty treat that can be enjoyed as a delicious breakfast or snack option. They are a homemade version of a granola bar, but without the added sugars and artificial flavorings.
And – not to mention, they are gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan!
Benefits of Pistachios
Pistachios are a type of tree nut that offers a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. A one-ounce serving of pistachios provides an abundance of vitamin B6, thiamin, phosphorus, manganese, copper, and potassium.
Similar to other nuts, they also contain a great source of heart-healthy fats, known as monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats play a role in lowering cholesterol and blood sugar, as well as developing and maintaining healthy cells.
They also provide a good source of fiber and protein. All around, pistachios are an extremely nutritious food. Including more of these in the diet can offer tons of health benefits.
How To Prepare Pistachio Squares
Preparing these pistachio squares are as easy as can be! All you need is a food processor and a square pan.
First, start off by arranging all of the dry ingredients. Measure out the nuts, oats, salt, and dates and place them in the food processor. You will need to use the S blade or chopping blade attachment.
Then, pulse the dry ingredients together until a meal forms. Once the meal forms, you then add the oil and syrup and continue to pulse on low. The mixture will turn into a moist and thick meal.
Then, you simply take the meal and press it into the baking pan. Top it with extra chopped nuts, and coconut flakes, and bake until the coconut flakes become lightly toasted.
How easy does that sound? Give it a try!
- Pistachios: The great thing about this recipe is that most of these ingredients are pantry staples – making this easy to whip up at any time. Although pistachios are the most abundant source of nuts in this recipe, you can swap them out for any other nuts you have on hand! You can replace them with lightly salted almonds, walnuts, pecans, or peanuts.
- Dates: The dates in this recipe add an extra hint of sweetness. But, if you don’t have dates on hand, you can swap them out for another dried fruit, such as craisins or raisins. Or – you can simply omit them.
- Maple syrup: If you do not have maple syrup, you can swap this out for honey. However, please note that if you substitute honey, the recipe will no longer be considered vegan! You can also use regular pancake syrup.
- Almond extract: Almond extract has a distinctive flavor and aroma that helps bring out the nutty flavors in these snack squares. If you don’t like the taste of almond extract or don’t have it on hand, you can replace it with vanilla extract or omit it. The recipe will still turn out delicious!
Pistachio Snack Squares Recipe
- 1 square pan
- 1 Oven
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 cup pistachios - lightly salted and shelled (plus an additional 2 tbsp for topping)
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats - (check for gluten-free)
- ¼ cup dates - pitted
- ¼ cup almonds - slivered
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes - unsweetened
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor with the S blade attached, process the pistachios, almonds, dates, oats, and salt for about 30 seconds, until a meal starts to form.1 cup pistachios, 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, 1/4 cup dates, 1/4 cup almonds, 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Drizzle in the maple syrup, olive oil, and almond extract and pulse on low until the meal begins to come together into a crumbly, moist dough.1/4 cup pure maple syrup, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp almond extract
- Press the dough evenly into the pan and sprinkle the top with the coconut flakes and additional pistachios.1/3 cup coconut flakes
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the coconut flakes become lightly toasted brown and the mixture is cooked through. Do not overcook the mixture! You want it to still be tender and a bit crumbly.
- Lift the cooled dough out of the pan with the ends of the parchments paper and cut into 16 squares.
- Enjoy! Store the squares in an air-tight container for up to one week.