photo credit: epicurious
An American classic, the meatloaf has been around for a looooooong time. But this healthy meatloaf recipe made with ground turkey and lots of veggies makes it a much better meal for you and your family. Each 1 slice serving has just 5 Points +, and packs in a lot of protein, fiber and veggies. Serve it with a salad, soup and some roasted veggies for a fabulous low Points Plus meal. This is one of my go to meals to cook whenever my son decides to not eat any veggies – and he loves it! So if you are looking for a good, low calorie meatloaf dish to add to your repertoire of staple Weight Watchers dinner recipes, this Vegetable and Turkey Meatloaf is definitely one to consider.
Vegetable and Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
A deliciously low calorie meatloaf that will makes a great weeknight dinner idea, this Vegetable and Turkey Meatloaf Recipe is not only tasty, but quite healthy too. Made with ground turkey instead of beef, and loaded with veggies, this traditional American meal gets a healthy makeover.
- 1 1/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf sized baking pan with foil.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with non fat cooking spray. Saute the onion until softened – about 3-5 minutes. Add in the carrots, celery, and bell pepper, and cook for another 3-5 minutes to soften the veggies. Add in the zucchini, mushrooms and garlic and saute about 3 more minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, oats, parsley, egg substitute, applesauce, tomato paste, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in the veggies.
- Empty the mixture into your baking pan, and shape mixture into a loaf form with your hands.
- Bake until browned and meat inside is thoroughly cooked – about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 10-15 minutes. Cut into 6 equally sized slices.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 slice of meatloaf
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 185 calories; 3g fat; 18 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 4 g fiber