An American classic, the meatloaf has been around for a long time. But this healthy meatloaf recipe made with ground turkey and lots of veggies makes it a much better meal for you and your family.
Each 1 slice serving is loaded with nutrition, and packs in a lot of protein, fiber, and veggies. Serve it with a salad, soup, and some roasted veggies for a fabulous low Points meal.
This is one of my go-to meals to cook whenever my son decides to not eat any veggies – and he loves it!
So if you are looking for a good, low calorie meatloaf dish to add to your repertoire of staple Weight Watchers dinner recipes, this Vegetable and Turkey Meatloaf is definitely one to consider.
VEGETABLE AND TURKEY MEATLOAF RECIPE
- 1 ¼ lb ground turkey breast
- 1 medium yellow onion - (diced)
- 1 large zucchini - (shredded)
- 1 large celery stalk - (finely chopped)
- 3 medium carrots - (shredded)
- 1 red bell pepper - (finely chopped)
- ½ lb mushrooms - (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves - (minced)
- ¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley - (finely chopped)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf sized baking pan with foil.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with non fat cooking spray. Saute the onion until softened – about 3-5 minutes. Add in the carrots, celery, and bell pepper, and cook for another 3-5 minutes to soften the veggies. Add in the zucchini, mushrooms and garlic and saute about 3 more minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, oats, parsley, egg substitute, applesauce, tomato paste, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in the veggies.
- Empty the mixture into your baking pan, and shape mixture into a loaf form with your hands.
- Bake until browned and meat inside is thoroughly cooked – about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 10-15 minutes. Cut into 6 equally sized slices.