Baked Asparagus Fries Recipe – 3 Points +
Inspired by a delicious recipe I found at SpoonForkBacon, via Pinterest, I decided to revamp her original recipe and make a healthier version of her Baked Asparagus Fries Recipe. By making a few small changes, I was very pleased with how delicious these were! Even my picky toddler was willing to give them a try (though as soon as he bit into it and saw green, he was done). I also made a low calorie lemon garlic aioli recipe to dip them in….delicious!! I’ll post that recipe sometime soon, so stay tuned. But baking the asparagus spears with a tasty, high fiber breading, made them very palatable and a great finger food. I made this to serve as a side dish to one of my Weight Watchers Dinner Recipes, but I’d use it as a healthy snack idea or a unique appetizer recipe. Definitely delicious, and a great way to get in a lot of fiber. Enjoy!
Baked Asparagus Fries Recipe
A delicious and healthy way to prepare asparagus spears, these tasty Baked Asparagus fries are a wonderful way to get those veggies in, and are just 3 Points + per serving.
- 1lb asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
- 1 1/3 cup high fiber cereal (like Fiber One)
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (like Eggbeaters)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cereal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder into a food processor and pulse until finely ground and powder-like. Pour mixture into a shallow dish.
- Dredge cut asparagus spears in flour and shake off excess (not much flour will stick to the waxy spears, but that’s okay).
- Dip each spear into the liquid egg followed by the cereal mixture. Cover each spear in the cereal mixture until fully coated. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Place coated spears onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with a light coating of cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp and lightly
When making this dish, I used Trader Joe’s High Fiber Cereal, which, in my opinion, is a better and healthier version of Fiber One cereal (original). It also doesn’t contain aspartame and Fiber One does.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire Baked Asparagus Fries recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size ¼ of entire recipe
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 127 calories; 0.5g fat; 25g carbohydrates; 9g protein; 8g fiber