Inspired by a delicious recipe I found at SpoonForkBacon, via Pinterest, I decided to revamp her original recipe and make a healthier version of her Baked Asparagus Fries Recipe.
By making a few small changes, I was very pleased with how delicious these were! Even my picky toddler was willing to give them a try (though as soon as he bit into it and saw green, he was done). I also made a low calorie lemon garlic aioli recipe to dip them in….delicious!!
I’ll post that recipe sometime soon, so stay tuned. But baking the asparagus spears with a tasty, high fiber breading, made them very palatable and great finger food. I made this to serve as a side dish to one of my Dinner Recipes, but I’d use it as a healthy snack idea or a unique appetizer recipe.
Definitely delicious, and a great way to get in a lot of fiber. Enjoy!
Baked Asparagus Fries Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 lb asparagus spears - washed and trimmed
- 1 ⅓ cup high fiber cereal - like Fiber One
- ¼ cup liquid egg substitute - like Eggbeaters
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cereal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder into a food processor and pulse until finely ground and powder-like. Pour mixture into a shallow dish.
- Dredge cut asparagus spears in flour and shake off excess (not much flour will stick to the waxy spears, but that’s okay).
- Dip each spear into the liquid egg followed by the cereal mixture. Cover each spear in the cereal mixture until fully coated. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Place coated spears onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with a light coating of cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.