Give an ordinary brown rice side dish a MAJOR, mouth-watering makeover with this Mexican Style Corn and Rice Casserole Recipe. Oh how I love easy casseroles that taste AMAZING and require very little effort. This delicious, low calorie casserole recipe was a huge hit at my house, and it was so easy to put together. It’s brown rice, with corn and squash, smothered in a sour cream, chile and cheese sauce. YUM. I spiced it up a bit with jalapenos, but you can omit that if you’d prefer a more mild version. Each serving is 7 Points, and is very satisfying. Serve this with some grilled chicken or fish, and a salad, for a balanced meal. I’m going to try experimenting with this recipe a bit more, and make it without the corn, adding in some other low carb vegetables instead, in order to lower the Points + value. The corn is delicious though, and well worth the Points, if you have them to spend. This Weight Watchers Casserole Recipe that truly feels like a decadent comfort food.
Mexican Style Corn and Rice Casserole
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 4oz can green chiles
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- 8oz frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 medium sized yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 ½ cups reduced fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare rice according to package direction, using broth instead of water.
- Preheat oven to 350, and lightly spray a 1 ½ qt baking dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- When rice is ready, combine with all remaining ingredients, and place in oven, uncovered for about 30 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is ¾ cup
Each serving = 7 Points +
PER SERVING: 256 calories; 6g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 15g protein; 3g fiber