Give an ordinary brown rice side dish a MAJOR, mouth-watering makeover with this Mexican Style Corn and Rice Casserole Recipe. Oh how I love easy casseroles that taste AMAZING and require very little effort. This delicious, low calorie casserole recipe was a huge hit at my house, and it was so easy to put together. It’s brown rice, with corn and squash, smothered in a sour cream, chile and cheese sauce. YUM. I spiced it up a bit with jalapenos, but you can omit that if you’d prefer a more mild version. Each serving is 7 Points, and is very satisfying. Serve this with some grilled chicken or fish, and a salad, for a balanced meal. I’m going to try experimenting with this recipe a bit more, and make it without the corn, adding in some other low carb vegetables instead, in order to lower the Points value. The corn is delicious though, and well worth the Points, if you have them to spend. This Weight Watchers Casserole Recipe that truly feels like a decadent comfort food.
Mexican Style Corn and Rice Casserole
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 4oz can green chiles
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- 8oz frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 medium sized yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 ½ cups reduced fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare rice according to package direction, using broth instead of water.
- Preheat oven to 350, and lightly spray a 1 ½ qt baking dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- When rice is ready, combine with all remaining ingredients, and place in oven, uncovered for about 30 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is ¾ cup
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 256 calories; 6g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 15g protein; 3g fiber