When I’m REALLY hungry and REALLY craving Mexican food, I always opt for a burrito (usually from Chipotle) because it is incredibly filling and ridiculously delicious. However, all the fat, calories and carbohydrates in those tasty burritos can really do a number on my Weight Watchers Points Plus balance. So I decided to try and create an easy, slow cooker chicken burritos recipe that was still flavorful and filling, but for a lot less Weight Watchers Points. Using the slow cooker allowed for my chicken to cook all day, getting nice and juicy and full of flavor. Then, I just assemble the burritos, top them with some enchilada sauce and cheese and give them a quick heat up in the oven. The key to making these delicious burritos just 5 Points + was using low carb tortillas and eliminating the beans and rice. I bulked it up a but with some green peppers and onions, which also added more wonderful flavor. Feel free to add in some extra veggies if you want. If you don’t mind spending the extra points, by all means, add in some beans, corn, rice….whatever you fancy. Top with some optional sour cream and fresh cilantro, and these light Crock Pot Chicken Burritos will blow your mind.
Crock Pot Chicken Burritos
A Mexican food lover’s dream, these low calorie crock pot burritos simmer all day, so at dinner time you just assemble and heat quickly in oven to melt the cheese. The tender and juicy chicken is perfectly flavored, and the enchilada sauce and melted cheese give it an extra kick.
- 1lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 4oz can diced chiles
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 whole wheat, low carb flour tortillas (I used THESE)
- 1 15oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican-style cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray an 11 x 13 inch baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
- Place chicken, tomatoes, chiles, green peppers, onion, garlic, and taco seasoning packet into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 5-6 hours. Shred chicken with two forks and stir. Drain off excess liquid.
- To make burritos, spoon about 3/4 cup burrito mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tbsp shredded cheese. Fold up burrito and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour enchilada sauce over burritos and top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Place in oven and cook until cheese melts and begins to bubble, about 10-12 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 6 hour(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 burrito
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 210 calories; 7g fat; 21g carbohydrates; 23g protein; 9g fiber