When I’m REALLY hungry and REALLY craving Mexican food, I always opt for a burrito (usually from Chipotle) because it is incredibly filling and ridiculously delicious.
However, all the fat, calories and carbohydrates in those tasty burritos can really do a number on my Weight Watchers Points balance. So I decided to try and create an easy, slow cooker chicken burritos recipe that was still flavorful and filling, but for a lot less Weight Watchers Points.
Using the slow cooker allowed for my chicken to cook all day, getting nice and juicy and full of flavor. Then, I just assemble the burritos, top them with some enchilada sauce and cheese and give them a quick heat up in the oven.
The key to making these delicious burritos low in Points was using low carb tortillas and eliminating the beans and rice. I bulked it up a but with some green peppers and onions, which also added more wonderful flavor.
Feel free to add in some extra veggies if you want. If you don’t mind spending the extra points, by all means, add in some beans, corn, rice….whatever you fancy.
Top with some optional sour cream and fresh cilantro, and these light Crock Pot Chicken Burritos will blow your mind.
CROCK POT CHICKEN BURRITOS
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 4 oz can diced chiles
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 whole wheat, low carb flour tortillas
- 1 15 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican-style cheese (shredded)
- Place chicken, tomatoes, chiles, green peppers, onion, garlic, and taco seasoning packet into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 5-6 hours. Shred chicken with two forks and stir. Drain off excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray an 11 x 13 inch baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
- To make burritos, spoon about 3/4 cup burrito mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tbsp shredded cheese. Fold up burrito and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour enchilada sauce over burritos and top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Place in oven and cook until cheese melts and begins to bubble, about 10-12 minutes.