This unique twist on a tamale turns a popular Mexican meal into a classic American-style comfort dish that is positively delicious. A base of cornbread mixed with corn, green chilies and fresh jalapeños, topped with shredded chicken, enchilada sauce and cheese, come together to put a tamale into casserole form for just 6 Points + per serving. It’s a quick and easy dish to prepare, and heats up great the next day too. This was so good, and so satisfying…it was a great Weight Watchers Dinner Recipe that the whole family could enjoy.
Chicken Tamale Casserole
A Mexican tamale in casserole form, this is one incredibly delicious meal. Perfect idea for a busy weeknight dinner, it’s a snap to prepare. And at just 6 Points + per serving, it’s a Weight Watchers dinner recipe that tastes too good to be true.
- 1lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 16oz package frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 8oz box cornbread mix (I used THIS kind)
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican style cheese, shredded
- 16 oz red enchilada sauce (I used 2 packages of THIS kind)
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1 4oz can green chilies
- 2 small jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine, cornbread mix, corn, milk, egg substitute, green chiles, jalapeños, 1/4 cup of the cheese, cumin, paprika, and salt & pepper. Mix well, then pour into baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and poke all over, using a fork.
- Pour 1/2 of the enchilada sauce all over the top. Then evenly cover with the chicken. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over chicken and top with the remaining cheese.
- Return to oven, and cook for another 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1/8th of casserole
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 265 calories; 3.5g fat; 33g carbohydrates; 21g protein; 2g fiber