To start off our series featuring other foodies around the web, we reached out to Kristen from The Slender Kitchen, a great blog consisting of many healthy recipes and meal plans. She has given us a great substitute for French fries-Spicy Green Bean Fries:
French fries just may be every dieter’s nemesis. Salty, crispy, and oh-so-addictive; it is easy to quickly rack up hundreds of calories mindlessly eating a plateful of fries with a sandwich or burger. And sadly, even at home baked versions sometimes pack a caloric punch with lots of added calories from oil and starchy potatoes. So next time you crave fries, try these spicy green bean fries instead. They are packed with flavor and make a perfect as a snack, side dish, or appetizer that both kids and adults are sure to love.
Spicy Green Bean Fries
Servings: 8 servings
Serving Size: approx. 2/3 cup (1/8 recipe)
Nutritional Info: 77calories; 1g fat; 0g saturated fat; 14g carbohydrate; 2g sugar; 4g protein; 2g fiber
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 2
2 Smart Points
· 1.5 lbs. green beans, washed and trimmed
· 1 cup breadcrumbs
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1/2 tsp. black pepper
· 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
· 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
· 2 egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stir together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Place in a shallow bowl or plate.
3. Whisk together the egg whites until frothy.
4. Dip the green beans into the egg white and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Place on the parchment paper in a single layer. Repeat until all the green beans are coated in breadcrumbs.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until green beans are nice and crispy, shaking the baking sheet once during cooking. Serve with skinny ranch.
Slender Kitchen is a food and recipe website dedicated to helping people cook delicious, healthy meals at home using whole, nutritious foods that taste great. Focusing on healthy recipes as well as stress free meal planning for healthy eating and weight loss – Slender Kitchen offers hundreds of recipes as well as complete meal plans that include nutritional information, categorized shopping lists, Weight Watchers PointsPlus®, and more.
Kristen McCaffrey, the home-cook behind Slender Kitchen, lives in Santa Monica, California and grew up in New England. She believes that healthy eating should be easy, taste great, and be something that everyone can do.