If you love Mardi Gras recipes as much as I do, you’ll love this Chicken Jambalaya Recipe!
It’s the perfect meal to serve at any Mardi Gras feast, and it’s a lot healthier than the traditional Jambalaya recipe, so you can enjoy yourself, while still staying on track with your weight loss plan.
This is a super easy recipe to make, and it still has all the flair of the traditional jambalaya recipe – just less fat and calories, making it lower in Points. Packed with fiber and protein, this favorite New Orleans Recipe will fill you up without filling you with guilt. Give it a try and enjoy!
CHICKEN JAMBALAYA RECIPE
This classic Creole dish is perfect for dinner parties or a large crowd. Hearty and flavorful, it’s just as good, if not tastier than, the traditional high fat version. Close your eyes and let each mouthful take you to New Orleans.
- 4 oz raw turkey sausage
- 1 large onion - (chopped)
- 1 large celery stalk - (chopped)
- 1 medium green pepper - (chopped)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper - (or to taste)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp table salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves - (minced)
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast - (diced)
- 28 oz canned tomatoes - (whole, plum, peeled with juice)
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice - (uncooked)
- Coat a large, nonstick saucepan with cooking spray. Over high heat, sauté sausage until crispy on edges. Add onion, celery and green pepper; sauté until tender. About 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in cayenne, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic; sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
- Stir in chicken, tomatoes, broth, and rice. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook until rice is tender about 20 minutes
Entire recipe makes 4 servings Serving size is 1 1/4 cups
Calories: 388 kcal (19%)Carbohydrates: 46 g (15%)Protein: 34.1 g (68%)Fat: 4.9 g (8%)Saturated Fat: 1.4 g (9%)Cholesterol: 71 mg (24%)Sodium: 934 mg (41%)Potassium: 883 mg (25%)Fiber: 4.4 g (18%)Sugar: 7.8 g (9%)Calcium: 60 mg (6%)Iron: 4.3 mg (24%)
Tried this recipe?Let me know how it was!
We make this recipe exactly as written on a regular basis and love it!! Nice and easy and makes a bunch.
Very good, the number of calories doesn’t matter. I added mushrooms,shrimp, diced carrots..
When I enter the ingredients into My Fitness Pal, it comes out to 445 per servings for 4 servings. Not sure what that comes out to in WW points though
I too am wondering how many servings this makes and if 7 points is under the new points plus system.
I was wondering if this (7) is the “new” points plus value? Also, how many servings does this make? :) thank you for all the great receipes!!!
I make this all the time – using chicken & jalapeno sausages and red/ wild rice. I think it’s one of the best recipes on here – delicious!
I was just wondering how many servings this makes for you when you make it? Want to make recipe in weight watchers recipe builder but need to know how much this makes:) Thank you!
Hi can you give me the new Points + on the recipe please thanks
Unfortunately, I don't have the nutritional information for this recipe. Grr! But I'm working to rebuild all of my older recipes in order to recalculate them with the new Points Plus values.
What is the yield on this recipe?
This Jambalaya looks really good. I’m going to cook some tomorrow with shrimp and sausage.
Thank you so much for all these great recipes! I just started Weight Watchers and I am happy to say I have not felt AT ALL deprived of anything with all the great recipes and foods that are easy to serve to my whole family. I can truly see myself living this way and not just temporarily doing it to shed some pounds.