My husband is a huge fan of meatball subs, so I decided to make a slimmed down version create a delicious meatball sub recipe that we could BOTH enjoy.
And by simply substituting a few traditional ingredients, it was a success! Tasty and satisfying each meatball sandwich has just 5 Points and is a great “manly” food that all weight watchers can enjoy.
Though this is not an official Weight Watchers Meatball Sandwich Recipe, it’s definitely a great meal idea for anyone who doesn’t want to give up the “good” foods while dieting.
LOW CALORIE MEATBALL SANDWICH RECIPE
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp granulated onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 24 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 8 light hot dog buns
- 8 slices of light Sargento Reduced Fat Provolone Cheese
- OPTIONAL: garnish with fresh shredded basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place oven racks in top 1/3 of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil that’s been coated with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, parsley, basil, garlic and salt & pepper. Scoop out turkey mixture and gently shape a small meatball (about the size of a tablespoon) and place on a prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining ingredients to make 32 meatballs. Bake about 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure to shake the pans every 5 min to promote even browning of the meatballs.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat up can of diced tomatoes. Feel free to mix in additional garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, salt and peeper for extra flavor. It won’t affect the points value.
- When meatballs are done, remove from baking sheets. Place rolls on same baking sheets; top each piece with 4 meatballs. Spoon about 3 tablespoons sauce over meatballs in each sandwich; top each with 1 slice of light provolone cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sandwiches are heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes.