If you are looking for a super yummy, low-calorie version of a homemade carrot cake recipe, then you came to the right place!
Considering that traditional carrot cakes can average 12-15 weight watchers points per serving, this diet-friendly carrot cake recipe is a fabulous bargain.
And then there’s the not so average, Cheesecake Factory’s Carrot Cake Recipe. It has approximately: 1,510 calories, 84g fat, 600mg sodium, 179g carbs, 6g fiber, 129g sugars, 18g protein = 36 Weight Watchers Points!!!! CRAZY.
I have always been a fan of carrot cakes with that rich, gooey, cream cheese frosting, but being a Weight Watcher pretty much kept me away from all my favorite dessert recipes. But after some trial and error and alterations with traditional carrot cakes recipes, I was able to create a version that is much lower in points and yet still tastes AMAZING.
And though this is not an official one of weight watchers dessert recipes, it’s a great, low-calorie dessert that will satisfy the carrot cake lover in everyone.
- 2 cups whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup light butter (melted)
- 12 oz fat free cream cheese
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 5 oz Jet Puffed marshmallow creme
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with non-fat cooking spray (I used butter flavored Pam), line the bottoms with parchment or wax paper, and spray the paper with the nonstick spray.
- Combine the flour, both kinds of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the egg substitute and egg whites in a large bowl. Add the carrots, applesauce, butter, and raisins, and hot water stirring until blended. With a rubber spatula, add the flour mixture to the carrot mixture, and stir until blended. Spread the batter evenly in the cake pans. Bake until the cakes are nicely browned and the center of each one bounces back when lightly pressed with a fingertip, approx 30-32 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans, peel off the paper, and cool completely on racks.
- To make the frosting, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Place on layer of cake on a cake plate, and using 1/2 cup of frosting, frost evenly out to edges. Place other layer of cake on top, and spread remaining frosting on top and on sides. Slice into 16 servings.
Entire recipe makes 16 servings
Serving size is one slice
Each serving = 8 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value