As a Weight Watcher, I assumed my days of regular pasta eating were behind me, but this low calorie Baked Ziti Recipe has given me a way to enjoy a much beloved Italian dish, without sacrificing too many of my Weight Watchers points.
Simply by subbing out a few of the higher calorie ingredients for lower calorie versions, I was able to make this baked ziti pasta and keep it Weight Watchers friendly, yet maintain it’s fabulous taste.
And though this is not an official one of Weight Watchers Pasta Recipes, anyone who is looking for a lower point version of Baked Ziti with Ground Beef will love this recipe!
BAKED ZITI PASTA RECIPE
- 12 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 small yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 8 oz extra lean ground beef (96/4)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up meat with a spoon as it cooks about 3 to 5 minutes; drain off any fat and set the pan back over medium heat.
- Add the oregano, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and mushrooms and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of beef-tomato mixture into bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish (just enough to cover surface); top with half of the cooked pasta. Next, layer with half of remaining beef-tomato sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining pasta and then top with remaining beef-tomato sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces.