I assumed my days of regular pasta eating were behind me, but this low calorie Baked Ziti Recipe has given me a way to enjoy a much beloved Italian dish, without sacrificing too many of my points.
Simply by subbing out a few of the higher calorie ingredients for lower calorie versions, I was able to make this baked ziti pasta and keep it diet friendly, yet maintain its fabulous taste.
Anyone who is looking for a lower point version of Baked Ziti with Ground Beef will love this recipe!
BAKED ZITI PASTA RECIPE
- 12 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese - (shredded)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves - (minced)
- 1 small yellow onion - (finely chopped)
- 8 oz extra lean ground beef - (96/4)
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ cup fresh basil - (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up meat with a spoon as it cooks about 3 to 5 minutes; drain off any fat and set the pan back over medium heat.
- Add the oregano, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and mushrooms and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of beef-tomato mixture into bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish (just enough to cover surface); top with half of the cooked pasta. Next, layer with half of remaining beef-tomato sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining pasta and then top with remaining beef-tomato sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces.