I’m always on the lookout for delicious and healthy slow cooker recipes, because, let’s face it, cooking in a crockpot pretty much rules.
With a toddler at home and a baby in my tummy causing horrible morning sickness, I LOVE the idea of throwing some food in a pot and calling it dinner!
This amazingly yummy slow cooker mushroom and black bean chili recipe was so good! Loaded with flavor, spice, and texture, this chili was way more enjoyable than I anticipated. It’s also packed with protein and fiber, and very low in fat, making it easy on the WW Points.
It’s a great, healthy alternative to traditional Mexican foods, and still brings that authentic Mexican flavor. This is also a great dish to serve for a crowd or large party, and is sure to fool everyone into thinking it’s fatteningly delicious!
CROCKPOT MUSHROOM AND BLACK BEAN CHILI RECIPE
- 1 lb mushrooms - (any variety, sliced)
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans - (drained and rinsed)
- 5 ½ cups fat free vegetable broth
- 2 medium onions - (chopped)
- 1 can corn kernels - (drained and rinsed)
- 1 large zucchini - (chopped)
- 8 oz tomatillos - (husked, rinsed and chopped)
- 2 fresh jalapenos - (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves - (minced)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - (minced)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup cilantro - (finely chopped)
- 1 cup tomatoes - (diced)
- Combine oil, mustard seeds, chili powder, cumin and cardamom in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Place over high heat and stir until the spices sizzle, about 30 seconds.
- Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, corn, jalapenos, zucchini, tomatillos and water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are juicy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add broth, lime juice, tomato paste, salt & pepper and chipotles; mix well.
- Place the beans in a 5- to 6-quart crock pot or slow cooker. Pour the hot vegetable mixture over the beans. Turn heat to high. Put the lid on and cook until the beans are creamy, 5 to 8 hours.
- Garnish with cilantro and diced tomatoes right before serving.
sounds wonderful. What could you sub for the 8 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped? Thanks
Great recipe! And website. Keep these recipes coming!
This chili was great and oh so easy to make. It also freezes well. I just added a bit more broth to each frozen portion. I had super hearty lunches all week! And for barely any point.
The dijon mustard worked perfectly! I will say it was a tad spicy for me but i'm a whimp when it comes to that kind of stuff. LOL! Next time i'll just leave out the jalapeno and ancho chilis. I was also thinking that a bit of ground pork or ground turkey would be a great addition. Thanks for the recipe. :-)
Oh good to know! I think I will try the 1/4 cup dijon mustard. I'm going to try it tomorrow and I will let you know what I find. :-)
I can't seem to find mustard seeds. I this crucial to the recipe? Can I substitute ground mustard? If so, how much?
I haven't tried it without the mustard seed, so I can't vouch for the taste. But you can try by substituting with a tbsp of dried mustard instead or 1/4 cup dijon mustard. It will not affect the Points + Value. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!
My parents are coming over for dinner next week. I'm going to try this recipe out on them. Can't wait!!
wow this chili recipe looks great! I will cook it Friday. Thanks
LOVE crock pot recipes! Cannot get enough. I've got 3 little ones, so the faster dinner can get on the table, the better. :)
Hope you feel better with the morning sickness! I had it bad too. 16 weeks was my magic marker for it to end.