When it comes to Chile Con Queso, I don’t even need anything to dip with….just gimme a spoon!!
But traditional Chile Con Queso Recipes are very high in fat and calories, making them a big no-no in my house. Because, really, I cannot stop after just a dip or two, and therefore, my Weight Watchers goals would be ruined.
So after experimenting with a few of my favorites, I created this slimmed down version that is a lot lower in fat and calories than a traditional chile con queso recipe.
Serve it up with 0 Points veggies or reduced fat tortilla chips for a fabulous snack. And if you want to add a great dip to your list of Super Bowl Dip Recipes, this one is a must. It was such a hit this weekend with my family, that I’m going to double the recipe for Super Bowl Sunday! Enjoy!
- 10-12 oz canned diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1/2 cup diced Anaheim chilies
- 1/2 cup light ale beer
- 1 3/4 cups reduced fat shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Spray a large saucepan with non fat cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add beer and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup milk and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring vigorously, until bubbling and thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add cheese and cook, stirring, until melted.
- Stir in drained tomatoes, chilies, lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, green onions, chili powder and cumin .
- Serve warm, garnished with a bit of cilantro.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is ¼ cup
Each serving = 3 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value