When it comes to Chile Con Queso, I don’t even need anything to dip with…just gimme a spoon!!
But traditional Chile Con Queso Recipes are very high in fat and calories, making them a big no-no in my house. Because, really, I cannot stop after just a dip or two, and therefore, my diet goals would be ruined.
So after experimenting with a few of my favorites, I created this slimmed down version that is a lot lower in fat and calories than a traditional chile con queso recipe.
Serve it up with veggies or reduced fat tortilla chips for a fabulous snack. And if you want to add a great dip to your list of Super Bowl Dip Recipes, this one is a must. It was such a hit this weekend with my family, that I’m going to double the recipe for Super Bowl Sunday! Enjoy!
CHILE CON QUESO RECIPE
- 10-12 oz canned diced tomatoes - (drained)
- ½ cup diced Anaheim chilies
- ½ cup light ale beer
- 1 ¾ cups reduced fat shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 ¼ cups skim milk
- 1 large onion - (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic - (minced)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro - (chopped)
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Spray a large saucepan with non fat cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add beer and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup milk and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring vigorously, until bubbling and thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add cheese and cook, stirring, until melted.
- Stir in drained tomatoes, chilies, lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, green onions, chili powder and cumin .
- Serve warm, garnished with a bit of cilantro.
Do you think this could be made the day before and then reheated in the oven?
YUM YUM YUM..delicious!
Your recipe sounds really good – I love queso dips but hard to just have a little :)
Has anyone tried substituting reduced fat Velveeta in place of the shredded cheese? If so, how much did it change the points? Using shredded cheddar cheeses make it not so great for reheating and sometimes has a grainy texture for me :(
has anyone tried making this without beer? I’m under 18….
Can this be made with the canned Rotel product that regular chili con queso is made with? It seems like it would simplify the recipe. Would the Rotel add calories and dull the favor do you think?
would using fat free shredded cheddar be okay?
Yes, but the texture and taste will be a bit different.
i made this for a jewelry party and it was great after i just got done cooking it! but i then put it into a crock pot to keep warm for the night and it turned almost like a mushy gravy. do you know why that would have happened? :(
Hmmmm…I’m not sure why. Maybe after sitting so long in a warm crock pot, the yeast in the beer had an effect on it.
This is so darn good it should be outlawed!! I made this for a dip and then made some nachos out of it. Thank you so much for your site and recipes!!! Yum Yum YUM
I made the queso on saturday for some friends. It was a big hit… delicious!!!
Would it be good without the beer? Can I sub something for that?
I'm going to make it this weekend without beer. It's only 1/2 cup anyway. I doubt anyone would notice.
Yes, I added this to my Super Bowl recipe list. I was going to buy a pre-made dip anyway and this Queso sounds amazing. Thanks!
Drool….. Love queso!
I made your Mushroom and Black Bean Chili today. Delish! Thanks for the recipe. :)
So glad you liked it! It's REALLY yummy!!