The monstrously-sized matzo ball soup from Langer's Deli
You don’t have to be Jewish to enjoy this delicious, healthy Matzo Ball Soup Recipe! A staple at most Seders, matzo ball soup is one of the most popular Passover Recipes out there. This lighter version has less fat, less calories and more veggies, making in lower in Points, but still full of flavor. And though the matzo ball in this soup isn’t the size of a grapefruit like the one you’ll get at Jerry’s Deli, it’s just as tasty and filling. And though it’s not an official one of Weight Watchers Soup Recipes, this can be a perfect Passover appetizer recipe or comforting soup to enjoy anytime.
Matzo Ball Soup Recipe
If you are looking for delicious, but low calorie Passover Recipes, this healthy Matzo Ball Soup, will definitely hit the spot. Full of the flavor we all know and love, but with less fat and calories, making this a delicious soup to enjoy not just at Passover, but any time of the year.
- 8 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup store bought matzo meal
- 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute (I used Egg Beaters)
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a medium bowl whisk the matzo meal, oil and water in with the egg substitute. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large soup pot, bring broth to a boil. Add salt, pepper, carrot, celery, parsley and onion; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Gently roll the chilled matzo dough into 8 medium sized balls, dropping them into the simmering broth as you work. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid: the broth must simmer rapidly to allow the matzo balls to expand properly.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are tender – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve.
Cooking time (duration): 60
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 1/4 cup broth and 1 Matzo Ball
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 112 calories; 2g fat; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber