photo credit: the homesick texan
No matter how healthy I eat, I will NEVER stop loving Mexican Food. There’s something about a greasy, messy taco that just gets me all excited. But, if I want to stay on track with my weight loss goals, those greasy tacos, and all my other favorite Mexican recipes are only to be indulged in very very rarely. So, to get my fix in the meantime, I make this delicious Chipotle Lime Chicken Tacos Recipe, which have 7 Points for 2 tacos. They are very nicely sized and full of fabulous flavor, so it helps to keep me feeling deprived. My family also loves them, so they make a great healthy weeknight dinner idea too.And I love that they are so quick and easy to prepare. When I’m feeling ambitious, I like to make my own salsa, and use that instead of the pre-made, jarred kind and it tastes SO much more fresh and flavorful. If you are a taco fiend, these delicious low calorie chicken tacos will surely become a staple on your menu!
Chipotle Lime Chicken Tacos Recipe
Full of flavor and zing, these low calorie Chipotle Lime Chicken Tacos are a dieting Mexican food lover’s best friend. Get your fix for tacos with this healthy chicken taco recipe and feel satidfied…not deprived. Each 2 taco serving has just 7 Points!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice from one lime
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground chili chipotle
- 1/2 cup salsa (the kind in a jar or fresh is fine)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced scallions and chopped fresh tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Wrap tortillas in foil and bake until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and cumin. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonfat cooking spray and place over high heat until very hot.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with lime juice.
- Reduce heat to medium and add spray skillet again with the nonfat cooking spray. Add onion and cook, stirring, until they start to become transparent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, lime zest, garlic, jalapeño and chili chipotle. Cook, stirring, until peppers are bright green but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in salsa and reserved chicken. Cook, stirring, until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Spoon into warmed tortillas and garnish with scallions, tomatoes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet (other): Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 2 tacos
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 263 calories; 3g fat; 30 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber