For the last couple of weeks, I’ve had a craving for tacos. Ground beef is finally coming down in price (a bit), but I still frequently turn to chicken.
My in-laws raise chickens each year, then butcher them and dole them out among the family. As a result, we always have delicious chicken in the freezer, so we have leftover chicken from our Sunday dinners.
It’s a great way to have easy, lean meat that’s ready to put into another recipe for the rest of the week. Chicken tacos are one that is very easy, delicious, and perfect for dinner.
I also love the leftovers for lunch, they’re quick and easy and still delicious and healthy. One of the great things about tacos is that you can pile on all the extras you want, and if you do it right, you can still keep the points down by adding mostly veggies. It’s especially perfect for us this time of year, since we’re still finishing up our fresh salsa.
Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup tomatoes - chopped
- ½ red onion - diced
- ¼ cup cilantro - chopped
- 1 lime - juiced
- 4 taco shells
- 2 oz queso fresco cheese - crumbled
- Toppings of choice - lettuce sour cream, pico de gallo, tomatoes, etc.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Saute in a large skillet with the olive oil until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place the chicken, cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powders in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the onion, tomato and cilantro in a bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper and the lime juice.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks.
- Serve the chicken in tacos shells, topped with the tomato mixture, queso fresco and toppings of choice.
I have asked this before but never received a reply. Why can’t I print the recipes? When I click on “print friendly”, all I get is the intro paragraph and photo, but not the recipe. Why is this happening???