photo credit: cupcakes take the cake
Looking for a rich and delicious dessert recipe that tastes like a million bucks but won’t use up all your PointsPlus? Try this healthy cupcake recipe for Chocolate Raspberry cupcakes, and you will seriously forget you are on a diet. Made with fresh fruit instead of artificially sweetened syrups and topped with a creamy and flavorful cream cheese frosting, this light cupcake is a real treat. The cake itself is moist and delicious, and the frosting is soooooo yummy, I was tempted to just eat the whole bowl of it with a spoon. Chocolate and raspberry have always been a favorite flavor combination of mine, and using the two of them in this low calorie cupcake recipe turned out oh so good. Though it’s not an official one of Weight Watchers Dessert Recipes, each of these little decadent cupcakes have just 5 Points, and make the perfect end to any meal, or the perfect Weight Watchers friendly treat to reward yourself with. Enjoy!
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcake Recipe
Indulge in this guilt free Chocolate Raspberry Cupcake Recipe and forget that you are counting Points! Moist, rich, and flavorful, it’s hard to belive that these low calorie cupcakes have just 5 Points each. Considering that that average store bought cupcake has around 10-12 Points, this is a fabulous alternative.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plain applesauce
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped raspberries
- 12 fresh raspberries for garnish
- 6 oz reduced-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup packed confectioners’ sugar
- To prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat granulated sugar and applesauce in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
- With the mixer on low, alternately mix in the dry ingredients and buttermilk, starting and ending with dry ingredients and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until just combined.
- Fold in chopped raspberries until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared cups (they will be full).
- Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 26 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To prepare frosting: Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, yogurt and confectioners’ sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate the frosting until very cold, about 2 hours.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes and decorate with a fresh raspberry on top.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 3 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 12 cupcakes
Serving size is 1 cupcake
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 200 calories; 4g fat; 37 g carbohydrates; 6g protein; 2 g fiber