I love to experiment with Quinoa in a variety of different Weight Watchers Recipes. It’s so good for you, and I really enjoy the flavor and texture.
When I used it instead of couscous in a traditional Tabbouleh recipe, I was thrilled with the end result. The calorie and fat content was less and the protein and fiber were higher, thus giving it a lower Points value – each 3/4 cup serving is just 4 Points.
WHAT IS QUINOA?
For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Quinoa, it’s a South American grain, originating in the Andes. It is loaded with protein, rich in phosphorous, magnesium and iron, and has a mild, nutty flavor. Quinoa is a great idea for a lighter and healthier alternative to rice, couscous and bulgur – and it’s gluten-free.
If you love the flavors of Middle Eastern salad recipes, like traditional Tabbouleh recipe, give this version with quinoa a try instead!
Tabbouleh Recipe with Quinoa
A delicious idea for a low calorie Middle Eastern side dish recipe, this Tabbouleh recipe with Quinoa is a wonderful choice. Light, fresh, flavorful, and just 4 Points per serving, it’s a great compliment to many Weight Watchers meals.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 3 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 2 bunches green onions, diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature; fluff with a fork. Set aside in refrigerator to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine olive oil, sea salt, pepper, lemon juice, tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, and parsley. Stir into cooled quinoa.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 3/4 cup
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 167 calories; 6g fat; 21g carbohydrates; 4g protein; 4g fiber