Shamefully, I have to admit that this was my first attempt ever at cooking collard greens. I was always curious but just didn’t think that cooked greens could actually taste good. I don’t think I could have been more wrong. Not only was this Bacon Collard Greens Recipe to die for delicious, but it has also become one of my absolute favorite recipes.
My husband and I gobbled this dish down like it was a hot fudge brownie sundae. Yes, it was that good. We completely forgot about the main dish recipe that night and just tore up these Bacon Collard Greens like there was no tomorrow. If you are looking for a fantastic vegetable recipe that will help you get your greens in, what better way is there to eat them than cooking them with bacon!??
Seriously…go get the ingredients, and make this ASAP. It’s the perfect low calorie side dish recipe to compliment your favorite Southern meal!
Bacon Collard Greens Recipe
- 1 Skillet
- 1 pound fresh collard greens - chopped
- 6 slices extra lean turkey bacon - like the kind from Jennie-O
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Spray a large nonstick pot or skillet with nonfat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside to cool.
- Re-spray the pan with a bit of the nonfat cooking spray and then add in the onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant.
- Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.
- Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Chop or crumble the cooled bacon and add it into the pot.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.