One of my food obsessions (and one of the things that helped get me into Weight Watchers) is Buffalo Chicken Wings/Fingers/Poppers/Whatever. If it’s flavored with buffalo sauce, I’m going to eat it. So I’m always on the lookout to find healthier alternatives to buffalo chicken. And thus my Buffalo Cauliflower Poppers Recipe was born. It has the flavors I crave, but without the extra fat and calories. And at just 3 Points per serving, I can indulge in this Buffalo Cauliflower as much as I need in order to get my buffalo fix. How did I not think of this sooner? This also makes a great low calorie Super Bowl Recipe idea too, so make sure to save it for the next big game day!
Buffalo Cauliflower Poppers Recipe
An amazingly flavorful snack idea, these Buffalo Cauliflower Poppers make a great low calorie alternative to Buffalo Chicken Wings or Buffalo Chicken Fingers.
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower, broken up into florets
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp light butter (like Brummel & Brown)
- 1/4 cup light blue cheese dressing (I used Wishbone)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonfat cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs and salt & pepper. And get the Egg Beaters ready in another small bowl.
- Place the cauliflower into a large Ziploc bag, and add in the cornstarch. Seal the bag and shake until cornstarch has evenly covered all the cauliflower.
- Remove each piece of cauliflower from bag and dip into Egg Beaters. Shake off the excess and then coat with panko breadcrumbs. Then set cauliflower onto baking sheet. Continue until all cauliflower is coated with panko breadcrumbs.
- Lightly spray all the breaded cauliflower with nonfat cooking spray and place into oven. Bake until cauliflower is tender on the inside and golden brown outside – about 20-30 minutes.
- While cauliflower is baking, melt butter in a small saucepan, and then add in Franks Red Hot sauce. Warm until nicely heated through – about 5 minutes.
- When cauliflower is finished baking, drizzle with blue cheese dressing and serve with buffalo sauce to dip.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1/4 of entire recipe (about 1 cup cauliflower and 1/8 cup buffalo sauce)
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 160 calories; 2.5g fat; 22g carbohydrates; 8g protein; 4g fiber