I have always been a big fan of Middle Eastern food recipes, as they are so immensely flavorful and tend to be loaded with healthy ingredients.
A good friend of mine recently prepared this incredible Moroccan Spiced Chicken Recipe with Prunes that was to die for. I loved it so much, I worked hard at creating my own version that’s just as fantastic as hers and yet is still diet friendly.
Because the sauce is so rich and flavorful, I’d recommend serving it over some brown rice, quinoa, couscous or some Miracle Noodles. I had no idea that sauteing prunes with chicken and some bold spices would create such a dramatically delicious dish. And it’s incredibly easy to prepare, so it works really well if you need a quick weeknight dinner idea.
If you are looking for a unique dinner recipe to add some pizzazz to the table, this dish is it!! Enjoy.
Moroccan Spiced Chicken Recipe with Prunes
- 1 Skillet
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts - 4oz breasts works well
- 1 medium sized leek - chopped (or 1 large yellow onion)
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 2-3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- Salt and pepper
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan with nonfat cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in pan until chicken in browned on the outside, but not cooked through, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, add in onions and garlic until onions become tender – about 3-5 minutes. If the onions and garlic start to stick to the pan while cooking, add in a bit of the broth.
- Mix in flour, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and soy sauce.
- Slowly stir in the broth.
- Add prunes, lemon juice and honey. Boil until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon, whisking occasionally, about 6-8 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Simmer chicken is cooked through and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.