I’m doing my best to savor these last few days of summer foods before I start going crazy with my new fall recipes. So, with some fresh summer zucchini and heirloom tomatoes on hand, I created this simple vegetable recipe that was delicious and light.
My Baked Zucchini and Tomato Casserole Recipe is the perfect, low calorie side dish to go with a chicken or fish entree. The simplicity of the recipe highlights the natural flavor of the vegetables.
And it’s a great way to use some of those extra zucchini and tomatoes that you may have on hand. I used some beautiful heirloom tomatoes in my casserole, but just about any other tomatoes would work just as well. Just 5 Points per serving makes this a nice, filling side dish that won’t break the bank. Enjoy!
BAKED ZUCCHINI AND TOMATO CASSEROLE RECIPE
- 2 large zucchini - (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes - (sliced thinly)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Spray an 11 X 13 casserole pan with non-fat cooking spray.
- Place a layer of zucchini slices along bottom of pan. Sprinkle lightly, but evenly with the seasoning mix. Then place a layer of tomatoes on. Repeat layers until all tomatoes and zucchinis have been used.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in oven for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and top casserole with parmesan cheese and then the panko breadcrumbs. Lightly mist with olive oil mister or non-fat cooking spray.
- Return to oven, uncovered, and bake for another 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is crusty.
- When done cooking, remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 4 equally sized pieces and serve immediately.