Mini Apple Pies that are just 2 Points + each!??!!? YES!! I was so excited to share this recipe today because I was thrilled with how the end result of these low calorie apple pies turned out. By using filo dough instead of pie crust, I was able to cut out a lot of the extra fat and calories. I also used a healthier butter spread (Brummel & Brown) to still deliver the buttery flavor but with less Weight Watchers Points. This Mini Apple Pie Recipe is perfect for when you want to enjoy a great dessert, but not go overboard on your Points. They’d make a perfect Weight Watchers Thanksgiving Dessert Recipe, but would also be great for a potluck, for your Super Bowl party, or just any old day of the week. You can even eat 2 of them for just 4 Points +! These Mini Apple Pies are a MUST make…they are easy, delicious, and such a fabulous bargain. Enjoy!
Mini Apple Pies
The perfect way to enjoy a healthier serving of Apple Pie! These low calorie mini pies are just 2 Points + each and are a great snack or dessert that will have you enjoying the taste you crave with zero guilt.
- 4 sheets whole wheat filo dough
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp light butter, like Brummel & Brown
- Fresh squeezed juice from 1 small orange
- Fat free Reddi-wip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with butter flavored non-fat cooking spray.
- Lay out 4 sheets of filo dough in one, neatly stacked pile, and cut out 12 circles. I just used a large circle shaped cookie cutter. Gently press each circle of filo dough into the muffin pan, creating a bowl for the apple pie filling.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine apples, orange juice, sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Using a spoon, fill up each “pie shell” with the apple filling, until all the filling is gone. Don’t be afraid to heap it high…the apples will bake down a lot.
- Top each mini pie with a ½ tsp of the light butter.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30 – 40 min. Take out of oven and let cool in pan for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Gently take one of the mini pies out of the pan, and inspect. If the filo shell still seems very soggy on the bottom, place it back into the oven for another 10 minutes. And then let it cool in the muffin pan for another 10-15 minutes.
- Top each mini apple pie with a dollop of fat free Reddi-wip before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 mini pie
Each serving = 2 Points +
PER SERVING: 86 calories; 1g fat; 17g carbohydrates; 1g protein; 2.5g fiber