This Spicy Ground Pork Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe was something that I’ve been meaning to execute for a while now.
Autumn after autumn, I’d see those lovely acorn squash at the store, and I decided that now was the time to create a new and unique Acorn Squash Recipe that was delicious and still Weight Watchers friendly.
So many traditional fall acorn squash recipes use sugar and butter, opting for a sweeter type recipe. I wanted something savory that would still complement the slightly sweet, delicate flavor of the squash. Thus my Spicy Ground Pork Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe was born, and wow was it good!! My husband and I loved it, and found each serving to be very large.
If you aren’t concerned about fat or calories, try this with some chorizo or pork sausage instead….delish!
Spicy Ground Pork Stuffed Acorn Squash
An easy yet delicious lunch or dinner recipe, this acorn squash is stuffed with deliciously spiced ground pork. Each extra large serving is just 8 Points, and is a very filling meal.
- 2 medium sized acorn squash, halved and de-seeded
- 1 lb extra lean ground pork
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fat free chicken broth
- 1 small can diced chiles (about 4-6oz)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground chipotle seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- Heat oven to 450° F. Place the squash halves cut-side down in a baking dish, add 1/4 inch water, cover with foil, and bake until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet with nonfat cooking spray. Add in onion, garlic and 2 tbsp broth and saute until onions begin to become transparent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in ground pork, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and chipotle seasoning. Cook until pork is cooked through and no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste and chiles. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has minimized, stirring occasionally.
- Fill the hollow of each acorn squash half with 1/4 of the ground pork mixture.
- Top with 2 tbsp fat free sour cream, and garnish with fresh chives or cilantro.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 stuffed acorn squash half
Each serving = 8 Points
PER SERVING: 331 calories; 8g fat; 24g carbohydrates; 29g protein; 6g fiber