I never realized how easy beets were to cook…I think those long stems always intimidated me. So whenever I made any beet recipes, I always used ones in cans or the pre-cooked, packaged ones you can find in the refrigerated section at the grocery store.
But once I discovered how incredibly easy they are to prepare and cook, I love using beautiful fresh beets! One of my easy, go-to healthy beet recipes is this simple, yet very flavorful salad. The fresh mint complements the sweet beets perfectly, and the tangy goat cheese adds a hint of tartness to balance the flavors.
Dressed in a light vinaigrette, this delicious Beet Salad Recipe is a fantastic Weight Watchers salad recipe that you can serve as a healthy side dish with a variety of main courses. I prefer it with a steak, or beef dish. Enjoy!
BEET SALAD RECIPE WITH GOAT CHEESE RECIPE
- 1 lb fresh beets - about 1lb with the greens attached
- ¼ cup fresh mint - finely chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 4 garlic cloves - (minced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp salt - (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Steam until beets are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, grab beets with a paper towel and slip off skins, then cut the beets into thin strips, and place in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, garlic, vinegar, orange juice and salt & pepper. Pour over the sliced beets and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve beets topped with mint and goat cheese.
- The entire recipe makes 4 servings
- The serving size is about 1 cup
do you cut off the greens before steaming?