What a delicious way to get in some fiber and protein with only using 5 Weight Watchers Points! This Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe is amazingly good.
By using fresh spaghetti squash instead of a flour based pasta, this dish saved a ton of fat, calories, and carbs. This also allowed me to spend the calories on the best part –the cheese!! It’s loaded with cheesy goodness and is very filling…each 1 1/2 cup serving is just 5 Points, and you can barely even tell there is no pasta in this recipe.
The spaghetti squash noodles add a nice tender crunch and a lighter, less heavy feel than the pasta. But overall, the casserole takes on the taste of the sauce and the cheese…so good!
Pair it with a low calorie salad, and a breadstick, and you’ve got one delicious and healthy Italian dinner for a small portion of Points.
Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 2 zucchini - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 25 oz marinara sauce (1 jar) - I used Trader Joe’s Tomato Basil
- 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese (1 container)
- 4 slices reduced fat provolone or mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- ¼ cup fresh basil - finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Soften spaghetti squash by poking the squash all over with a knife and cook in the microwave for 12 minutes, until soft. Let cool for about 10 minutes before handling.
- Spray a medium sized, non-stick skillet with cooking spray, and set over medium high heat.
- Add in the zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until zucchini becomes tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, oregano and basil. Fold in the cooked zucchini.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and with a fork, scrape the flesh from the peel. It should flake off easily in strings, resembling spaghetti.
- Place the spaghetti squash flesh in a casserole dish. Spoon the ricotta mixture and spread it evenly throughout the squash. Pour tomato sauce over everything.
- Layer cheese slices evenly on top and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.