What a delicious way to get in some fiber and protein with only using 5 Weight Watchers Points! This Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe is amazingly good. By using fresh spaghetti squash instead of a flour based pasta, this dish saved a ton of fat, calories and carbs. This also allowed me to spend the calories on the best part –the cheese!! It’s loaded with cheesy goodness and is very filling…each 1 1/2 cup serving is just 5 Points, and you can barely even tell there is no pasta in this recipe. The spaghetti squash noodles add a nice tender crunch, and a lighter, less heavy feel than the pasta. But overall, the casserole takes on the taste of the sauce and the cheese…so good! Pair it with a low calorie salad, and a bread stick, and you’ve got one delicious and healthy Italian dinner for a small portion of Points.
Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash Casserole
A delicious and healthy casserole recipe that uses spaghetti squash instead of pasta, but still accomplishes a fantastic Italian flavor and is smothered in three different cheeses. Definitely a wonderful family dinner recipe idea that tastes great and is full of nutrition.
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 25 oz jar of marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Tomato Basil)
- 1 15oz container fat free ricotta cheese
- 4 slices reduced fat provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Soften spaghetti squash by poking the squash all over with a knife and cook in the microwave for 12 minutes, until soft. Let cool for about 10 minutes before handling.
- Spray a medium sized, non-stick skillet with cooking spray, and set over medium high heat.
- Add in the zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until zucchini becomes tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, oregano and basil. Fold in the cooked zucchini.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and with a fork, scrape the flesh from the peel. It should flake off easily in strings, resembling spaghetti.
- Place the spaghetti squash flesh in a casserole dish. Spoon the ricotta mixture and spread it evenly throughout the squash. Pour tomato sauce over everything.
- Layer cheese slices evenly on top and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cup
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 221 calories; 6g fat; 21g carbohydrates; 14g protein; 5g fiber