Ok, if you have tried my Vegetarian Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe and are a fan, then you will be very excited about my new version of it….my Vegetarian Cheese Steak Stuffed Pepper Recipe! It’s basically the same idea as the sandwich, but the cheese”steak” is stuffed into a green pepper half instead of a roll, shaving a Point off the original Vegetarian Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe. It’s also a great way to eliminate carbs, and it tastes truly amazing. My picture isn’t so pretty, because I was rushing – I was dying to eat it!! And if you eat both halves, it’s just 6 Points and very satisfying. Pair it with some baked sweet potato fries and you’ve got one amazingly delicious and very healthy meal that gets in a TON of veggies. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Cheesesteak Stuffed Pepper
Enjoy the flavors of a Philly Cheese Steak for just 3 Points in this healthy and delicious Weight Watchers Recipe. Using a green pepper instead of bread and Portabella mushrooms instead of meat, you’ll be shocked at how truly delicious it tastes.
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 slices reduced fat provolone cheese
- 4 large Portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fat free vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a small baking sheet with non-fat cooking spray, and place peppers on it, cut side down. Roast until peppers begin to become tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the mushrooms with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer.
- Divide the mixture into 2 portions then scoop one portion onto each pepper half. Top each with one slice of the cheese, and place back in oven or under a broiler until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 2 servings
Serving size is 1 stuffed pepper half
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 140 calories; 3g fat; 18g carbohydrates; 10g protein; 4g fiber