This traditional Chicken Piccata Recipe got a much healthier makeover! If you love this popular Italian dish but are afraid it may be too many Weight Watchers Points, then this healthier version will make your day.
Just by using less butter, and a lighter version of it, this Chicken Piccata still maintains the buttery flavor, but for a lot less fat and calories. It’s also bulked up a bit with some mushrooms.
And of course, the velvety, piccata sauce is divine with the delicate flavor of wine, the acidity of the fresh lemon, and the zing of garlic. Each serving is lower in fat and calories, making this one very low Points Weight Watchers dinner recipe.
If you love Chicken Piccata, this is a must make. Enjoy!
CHICKEN PICCATA RECIPE
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used two 8oz breasts, butterflied and cut in half)
- 10 fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (minced)
- 2 tbsp capers (rinsed)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 tbsp of flour and 1 cup of broth until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge chicken in the flour.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and setover medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Place butter in the pan and set over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, the remaining cup of broth, the lemon juice, paprika, and additional salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and capers. Add in chicken breasts and let simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Serve chicken smothered in sauce, and topped with some additional chopped parsley.