Tomato Basil Caprese Soup
A deliciously flavorful, creamy and cheesy soup that is easy to make and has just 3 Points per serving. The fresh, roasted tomatoes add such a decadent taste to this soup and the fresh mozzarella is the icing on the cake.
- 3lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 8 oz fresh, whole milk mozzarella
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with non-fat cooking spray. Place whole tomatoes and garlic on baking sheet and roast in oven for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set a large sauce pan over medium high heat, melt butter and add in onions and salt. Cook until unions become tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Dump the cooked tomatoes and garlic cloves into the pot with the onions.
- Add in basil, stock, pepper and oregano, and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer, and then lower heat to medium low and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in ricotta cheese. Now, using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour soup into 8 individual ramekins or oven safe bowls. Slice fresh mozzarella into 8 equally sized slices, and top each bowl of soup with a slice of mozzarella.
- Place ramekins under broiler until mozzarella melts and begins to bubble. Remove from oven and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 ¼ cup soup, with 1oz mozzarella cheese
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 116 calories; 5g fat; 9g carbohydrates; 9g protein; 2g fiber