Oh, how I love sauces. The first time I had a homemade chimichurri sauce, I was blown away at the incredible, savory flavors it had, and how it really enhanced the flavor of my steak. My husband is also a big fan if chimichurri sauce, so I decided it was time to start making it at home more often. Even though the main ingredients in a traditional chimichurri recipeare practically calorie free, the substantial amount of oil thatmost recipes use end of making the sauce laden with extra fat. Thus making it pretty high is Weight Watchers Points. And when you are using a good chunk of your Points on steak, the last thing you want to do is double that with an oily sauce. However, my light chimichurri sauce recipe has eliminated that concern. Each 2 tbsp serving is just 1 Point. And it still has all the flavors that are expected, just altered a bit to make it healthier. Not only does it make a fantastic sauce for steak, chicken or seafood, it is also an amazing marinade. It’s so intensely flavored, yet so bright and refreshing. This Weight Watchers Chimichurri Recipe has now become a staple in my house. Enjoy!
Low Calorie Chimichurri Sauce
The perfect topping or marinade for your favorite steak, chicken or fish dish. Spice things up with this lightened Chimichurri Sauce, and enjoy the traditional Spanish flavors with a lot less calories and fat.
- 1 bunch of parsley, roughly chopped, stems removed
- 1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped, stems removed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Combine oregano, hot water and 1 tsp salt in a small bowl, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Then combine all ingredients, except for the oil, together in a food processor, and pulse until very finely chopped and well blended.
- Pour mixture into a small bowl, and whisk in the oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Let sauce come to room temp before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, Raw
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: Spanish
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 2 heaping tbsp
Each serving = 1 Point
PER SERVING: 24 calories; 2g fat; 0g carbohydrates; 0g protein; 0g fiber